are some of the historic places listed in alphabetical order for the
intrepid explorer to locate and visit. You may wish to find a local to
guide you on some of these country roads, use a Mountain Parkway map, or
purchase the cassette or CD containing the directions and commentary.
Use the contact us form to find out where to obtain these materials.
Boggs Mill Stone - Located along Webster County Route 1 and the Little Kanawha River is a large rock that Andrew “Andy” Boggs reportedly moved from the Lewis County side of the Little Kanawha River to his mill site in the late 1800s. Boggs was a gunsmith and is also remembered throughout the area for his extraordinary physical strength. Boggs was the first to be buried on top of a hill east of the millstone. The cemetery is known as the Boggs Cemetery. The story is told that during the Civil War, Andy, who was sympathetic with the Confederacy, hid from the Yankees on that hilltop. He is said to have remarked, “If one could hide from the Yankees there, surely it would be a good place to hide from the devil.”
Cleveland - Over the years, the village now known as Cleveland has had three different names: Buffalo Fork, Point, and Cleveland. This reflected the change in name assigned to the post office located in the community. The first post office was established there in 1853, and was named Buffalo Fork, after the small nearby stream that flows into the right fork of the Little Kanawha River. Thirty years later in 1883, the post office was dubbed “Point” simply because a shorter name was preferred for postal purposes. Point, however, was short-lived, as two years later, in 1885; the post office name was changed to Cleveland, in honor of Grover Cleveland, who was just beginning his first term as President of the United States. It is interesting to note that Cleveland was the first Democrat President elected after the Civil War. The building pictured currently (2012) houses Cristi's Cook Shack.
Cleveland United Methodist Church - The Cleveland United Methodist Church is located on the “Old” Cleveland/Hacker Valley Road, Webster County 20/1. Jack Hoover of Cowen and Charley Henderson of Upper Glade built the church in 1925. The church was in continuous operation for 67 years. In 1992, due to declining membership and lack of finances, the church was made a Memorial Church. As such, it serves the community for funerals, special meetings, and the annual homecoming held each August.
Hacker Valley - The little village of Hacker Valley was named in honor of John Hacker, who reportedly took possession of a tract of land nearby by "tomahawk mark" around 1772. A short distance to the right of this building is a memorial commemorating the oldest marked grave in northern Webster County, that of George Lough, buried in 1817. Pictured is the former Hacker Valley Post Office which closed in June 2009. A CPU (Contract Postal Unit), located near the Hacker Valley Elementary School, opened in early 2012.
Johnson Home - The Johnson home, constructed in 1886 by John N. “Squire” Johnson, is well preserved. It is one of the few remaining examples of 19th Century architecture typical to the area. Consideration is being given to applying for its designation as a National Historic Site. An historical sign was recently erected near the home through the efforts of the Northern Webster County Improvement Council, Inc. and the National Scenic Byways Program created by the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century. Mr. Johnson built some of the one-room schools of the area and served for a time as justice of the peace, thus the nickname “Squire.” He was married twice and fathered 19 children.
Mayton Barn - The Mayton Barn is located along the Byway near the former Hacker Valley Post Office. It is one of the oldest barns in the area. It was constructed in the early 1900s in what is known as the Mayton Bottom. The name “Mayton” is derived from the name of a lumber company that was situated in this large bottom around 1900.
McCray Cemetery - Located on the “Old” Cleveland Road, Webster County 20/1, is the McCray Cemetery, named in honor of James McCray whose grave was the first in the cemetery.
McCray Rocks - Located on the “Old” Cleveland Road, Webster County 20/1, about one mile from Cleveland is a directional sign commemorating the rocks where Union soldiers killed Confederate Captain James McCray, son of Robert McCray, in 1862 as he and two others lay in wait for the Union men to pass. McCrae had been granted a commission and was in the process of forming a local militia unit. A trail winds up the steep hill to the rocks which have been known as the McCray Rocks for years.
Mollohan Mill - Bernard Mollohan constructed the in mill 1894. Beth Mollohan, his great granddaughter, who resides nearby, owns the mill. It is unusual in that the water wheel is horizontal to the water rather than vertical. The mill is a National Historic Site, and was listed in the National Register Information System September 2, 1982. The Mollohan Mill was the first historic site to be listed in Webster County.
Mount Zion Church -Near the community of Wheeler is the Mount Zion Church. The church sits on a point formerly known as Moats' Point. The church was first established in 1893. In 1932, the original church was destroyed by a "mini" tornado. The present church was built in 1934. Also located nearby is a picturesque and pristine small waterfall.
Old Sulphur Spring - The Old Sulphur Spring is located along the Byway, WV Route 20, at Jerry Run. During the late 1800s and early 1900, the spring provided water for the nearby Jerry Run one-room school. It was the site of the first Anderson reunions, held in the mid 1920s. It is a landmark in the Jerry Run Community and is still used by families during periods of drought. Located near the spring are a shelter, picnic tables, and stone fireplace. The Sulphur Spring area is a rest stop along the Mountain Parkway Byway.
Pugh - This is the site of the former Pugh Post Office (1888-1911) and the Wesley Anderson Store and Grist Mill. Anderson's home and store building are still standing and in good repair. Alta Cogar currently owns the buildings and property. An Anderson store invoice dated March 21, 1906, substantiates the fact that the country store carried all sorts of merchandise. It lists the cost of one coffin and material for burial purposes of a small child at $6.45. The father of the child could not pay the invoice until the following fall after he harvested his crops.
Sharon - Near Jerry Run is the site of the Sharon Post Office that served the Jerry Run community from 1890 to 1900. Dr. William W. Hutchinson served two terms as postmaster. Patrick W. Bruffey, another early resident, was postmaster a short while, after having served as superintendent of Webster County Schools.
Warren Scott “Goodin” Lingle - Near the McCray Cemetery is an historical marker at the location where Warren Scott (Goodin) Lingle was killed while racing a spirited horse with a friend on March 7, 1922.
Wheeler - The Wheeler Overlook provides a panoramic view of the village of Wheeler. In the early 1900s, Wheeler was the hub of the community, containing a store, post office, gristmill, jewelry repair, and photograph shop. The store, now known as Lowther’s Store, was established around 1900. It is believed to have been the longest continuously operating store in Webster and, perhaps, surrounding counties. The store building is a National Historic Site. It was listed in the National Register Information System on April 7, 1997. Just across the road from the store building stands a large beech tree. If you look closely, you will see a chain still attached to the tree, which in years long gone served as a hitching place for horses or mules.
William Damute Berry - Near the Cleveland Church, we come to the William Damute Berry home place. Mr. Berry settled in this area in 1856. He was married to Hanna Laverne McCray, the daughter of Robert and Margaret McCray, original residents.